What is the current situation of the environment?
Firstly, the Earth is currently facing a lot of environmental concerns. Moreover, the environmental problems like global warming, acid rain, air pollution, urban sprawl, waste disposal, ozone layer depletion, water pollution, climate change and many more affect every human, animal and nation on this planet. And it has gone to an alarming rate since the last few decades. And if we don’t act now, the situation will get worse day by day.
Climate change is increasing the frequency and intensity of natural events like droughts, wildfires, heatwaves, rainstorms, tropical cyclone, and hurricanes, and it continues.
Global Risks Report 2018 further states that biodiversity loss due to species extinction is a risk not just for the environment but also the global economy. As a result, an alarming rate of species extinction is happening worldwide.
Below are the facts related to environmental issues
- 92% of the world population lives in areas with polluted air which causes 11.6% of global recorded deaths.
- The Global Risks Report 2018 points out that plastic pollution is so great that micro-plastics is found in 83% of tap-water in the world. Chemical pollution from agriculture and industries is another problem where plants and animals are killed or are affected by toxins.
- Developing and emerging countries report 80% water loss
- 63% of the world’s marine life is over-fished with few to no renewable methods in place warns.
- Until we minimise the carbon dioxide emissions in the atmosphere to 350 parts per million, we are causing irreversible damage to the earth.
- Every year we dump a massive 12 billion tons of waste.
- 10 million tonnes of plastic waste ends up in our oceans each year
Let’s take a look at how the environment depletes.
- Intensive agriculture, unsustainable fishing, wildlife poaching, habitat degradation and destruction, acid rain, and climate change are threatening thousands of species
- Many causes are attributed to consumer demands as people branch out into areas that were once home to various species.
- Over consumption and waste.
- Loss of biodiversity due to Deforestation and the Ecosystem destruction.
- Mining of Minerals and Oil.
- Technological and Industrial Development.
- Pollution and Contamination of resources.
So, what actions can we take to overcome this situation?
- Make Electricity Use More Efficient.
- Use More Renewable Energy.
- Promote Sustainable Fishing Rules.
- Avoid Single-Use Plastics.
- Drive Less.
- Recycle More and Improve Recycling Systems.
- Use Sustainable Agriculture Practices.
- Reduce Food Waste.
- Plant more trees.
- Stop bursting crackers.
Finally, what will be the impact of our actions?
- Proper ecological balance.
- Healthy environment
- Fewer diseases and mental illness.
- Healthy lifestyle.
Moreover, our little efforts can bring a huge impact on current environmental issues. But first, we need to accept and understand that we can make it possible without depleting the necessary resource.