Documents required to start your restaurant business in India with FSSAI Registration Online
In particular, it requires a lot of efforts to choose the right location, hire the right talent and to market the restaurant. But the most important thing is getting all the mandatory licenses required for opening a restaurant under FSSAI. After all, no one wants to attract legal issues post all the hard work incurred in planning and setup. So, make sure you have all your legal FSSAI License documents required to open a restaurant under FSSAI rules and regulations.
Hence, these are the mandatory FSSAI License documents required for starting a restaurant in India. It also tells you about the associated costs and timeline in obtaining the same. So here’s the list of Licenses required to start a restaurant in India.
1. Food Safety And Standards Authority License – FSSAI Registration or FSSAI License Online
Firstly, the FSSAI Registration, Food License or Restaurant License is the primary document required by the authorities. The FSSAI License is a Food License and it also acts as approval to ensure compliance with the Food Safety Standards of India. This license is a 14 Digit registration number allotted to the manufacturers, traders, and restaurants. Most importantly, it should be printed on the packaging. Moreover, one can also avail FSSAI registration online. Below is a checklist to avail FSSAI registration online as well as offline:
Checklist of FSSAI License Documents Required for The FSSAI License Registration
To avail FSSAI license documents for registering a restaurant in India it requires the following documents:
- Id Proof and Address Proof
- Valid Email Id
- Phone Number
- Declaration of Food Safety Management Plan
- Kitchen Layout Plan
- List of Food Category
- Water Testing Report from ISI approved Facility
- No Objection Certificate (NOC) from the owner or the partner
- Medical Certificates of Employees
How to Obtain the FSSAI License for Your Restaurant?
Once you compile all the documents from the above checklist, you may apply for the FSSAI license. In addition, it requires a Fee of around INR 2000/- per year for a new license. It is easy to get FSSAI Registration online once you log in to the FSSAI website, complete the signup process on creating a username for registration. Once signed up, you can log in to the account and fill up the application with all the mandatory documents. And then it is followed by Fees payment. Then Submit the printed copy of the filled up online application form to the Regional/State Authority. Submit all the documents within 15 days from the date of online application submission. There are several other options to FSSAI registration online while paying FSSAI license fees along with proper FSSAI licence documents submitted with the application.
2. Liquor License
Firstly for serving liquor, you need to obtain the Liquor License issued by Local Excise Commissioner. In this case, the forms are available at the respective State Government Website. Moreover, a huge penalty or even lockdown of the premises is possible for serving liquor without a license. Hence it is advisable to get the liquor license on the priority.
Checklist of Documents Required for The Liquor License
Below is a list of mandatory documents for applying for the liquor license.
- Land’s Legal possession on which the restaurant/hotel is established
- Valid Certificate of the completion of the restaurant or the hotel building
- Trade License from the Local authority, that is, MCD/NDMC or other relevant authorities
- Certificate of registration of Eating house license issued by the DCP
- Documentary proof regarding applicant being an Income Tax Assessee and Sales Tax-Assessee
- A complete layout plan of the establishment, site plan of the license outlets and the liquor stores
- NOC from the state Fire Service
Liquor license is one of the most important licenses required to open a restaurant serving bar in India.
How To Obtain the Liquor License For Your Restaurant & Bar
On compilation of mandatory documents, the concerned Excise Officer inspects the restaurants or hotel premises. Submits a report to the liquor granting authority. Once approved, the applicant will have to submit the fees as applicable according to the guidelines. The license is issued on successful completion of all the prerequisite procedures.
The FSSAI License fees timeline is as under:
- Payment of INR 5,000/- at the time of submission of the documents
- Additional INR 50,000/- is required for every spirit brand, like whiskey, rum, gin, brandy, vodka and others.
Obtaining a liquor license is a difficult process as the government conducts a thorough verification with an eagle’s eye.
3. Health or Trade License
Health Trade License falls under 11th Schedule of the Municipal Corporation Act (1957). Furthermore, it was implemented to establish public health as a concern of supreme importance. The Health Trade License is issued by the Civil Authorities. These authorities are the State’s Municipal Corporation or the Health Department.
Documents Required For The Health/Trade License
- Sanction and Completion (Includes Ownership proof, Rent Agreement or NOC from landlord)
- Three copies of the site plan and layout
- Indemnity bond of Rs. 100/-
- Structural Stability Certificate signed by Structural Engineer
- Paid Bill of Power and Water
- Sewer Connection Proof
- Swimming pools, cinema halls, and hotels require a letter from the Police
- Water Testing Reports
- Plan of the Premises
- Medical Certificates of Employees
- Proof of Property Tax
- Lal Dora Certificate, if applicable
- Medical Fitness Certificate of Workers
How To Obtain The Health/Trade License For Your Restaurant
It is rather easier to apply for Health/Trade License for restaurants, and the cost varies from INR 500 to 50,000. A restauranteur can apply for Health/Trade License at Citizen’s Service Bureau’s Office. Or online via State Municipal Corporation Website or Zonal Citizen’s Service Bureaus’ Website. The license is usually issued within 60 days from the date of application form submission.
Disclaimer: Municipal Corporations have the authority to shut down restaurants without a license.
4. Eating House License
The Licencing Police Commissioner of a city is responsible for issuing Eating House License. INR 300 approx. is the cost for three years of license. The Eating House License is provided by the Licensing Police Commissioner of the city. The approximate cost required to issue this license is Rs. 300/- for three years.
Documents Required For The Eating House License
Here’s a list of documents required to get the Eating House License for restaurants:
- Documents to prove the legal occupancy of the place of Eating House and in the case of tenancy, NOC from the landlord
- Site Plan containing details of the size of Eating House
- Photographs of the place showing its usage as an Eating House
- Photocopy of Valid NDMC/MCD/DCB/Airport Authority of India trade license and free receipt.
- Residence proof of the applicant
- An affidavit on the stamp paper of Rs 10/- duly attested by Notary Public
- Fire NOC, if the seating capacity of the eating house is 50 or more
- Undertaken with regard to amusement activities
- Undertaking regarding the installations of CCTV Cameras with 30 days recording facility
How To Obtain The Eating House License
It is required for an applicant to first register himself or herself on the official website. On registration, a User ID and Password is generated and received over mail. User ID facilitates form filling, uploading of necessary documents (self-attested for validation) and to fix an appointment.
5. Shop And Establishment Act
In brief, to run a food business in India, you must register your restaurant under the Shops and Establishment Act. Be it a Food Truck or a Fine Dine restaurant. You need to register your restaurant within 30 days of the commencement of your business. This license is city-specific. The total cost you would incur for this license amounts to Rs. 200/- to Rs. 4,000/- per year. However, the cost is relative as it depends on the number of employees and the location of the restaurant. FSSAI license documents can also be availed online through the payment of FSSAI License fees as per the requirement.
Documents Required For The Shop And Establishment Act License
- Pan Card
- Identity Proof
- Address proof of the proprietor or partner or the company
- Details of the employees
- How To Obtain The Shop And Establishment Act License
On completion of the document checklist, one can submit the application form mentioning details. Like the shop name, postal address, and the proof of ownership in the form of Rent Agreement or Shop Lease agreement to the Local Chief Inspectors. On successful verification of the documents, the Inspector includes the name of the shop in the Register of Establishment and issues a Registration Certificate. It is required to display the Certificate at the establishment. Moreover, it should be renewed before expiration. The license takes 7-10 working days for issuance. Subsequently, if you need to update any information, you have to inform the inspector within 15 days. Next, it ensures the marking of changes in the register of the establishment and gets a fresh certificate issued. Even an establishment’s closure must be informed to the inspector within 15 working days.
6. GST Registration
GST came into effect since the 1st of July, 2017. And it simply helps establish your restaurant for taxation.
Documents Required For The GST Registration Of Your Restaurant
For The Proof Of Ownership/Tenancy Rights Of The Business Premises:
- Allotment and possession letter from Authority / Transfer Memorandum.
- Copy of Registered lease deed.
Or, following documents along with FSSAI license documents:
For Rent Agreement And Electricity Bill Of The Owner Of The Property:
- Pan Card of Proprietor/Partnership Firm.
- Copy of the Partnership Deed
- Aadhar Card of Proprietor/all partners
- One passport size-photo of proprietor/all partner.
- Mail ID and Mobile No. to receive OTP & Verification links of all partners
- Latest Bank Statement containing Name, Address and IFSC Code of Branch of Bank.
- List of traded items (if you want to sell stuff over the counter also)
- List of traded/manufactured items
- Digital Signatures of authorized partners
- Authority Letter in favour of dealing partner
GST licenses required to open a restaurant
How To Get The GST Registration Of Your Restaurant
Yes, if you are thinking to take a big bite, it is easier to start your billing and business now. Since the GST registration is a simple process which can be obtained by Individual, Partnership firm or Registered Company on filing necessary documents online at www.gst.gov.in
The confusion regarding GST has been going around for quite some time now. With the increasing changes, both the restaurant owners and the diners are living in this constant apprehension of further changes that might be incorporated. However, several channels are trying to make things easier for the restaurant owner, GST Street is one such platform.
7. Fire Department
The restaurant’s ulterior motive must be to protect its customers from all things dangerous, be it food products or hazards such as a fire. Thereby it requires the Fire Department’s No Objection Certificate (NOC) to run a restaurant.
How To Get A No Objection Certificate From The Fire Department
For this, a restaurant needs to register for NOC from the State Fire Department before the building construction starts. Applications are available online on the state government website. After having all the safety equipment in place, you must invite the Chief Fire Officer for inspection and get the NOC. There is no fee for NOC as of now.
8. Lift Clearance
In case you want to install a lift in your multi-story restaurant, you need to get clearance from an inspector from the electricity department. Also from the Labour Commissioner of that specific city. The Electrical Inspector issues this license from the office of the Labour Commissioner. Installation of the lift, layout, safety gears and similar equipment takes place once the verification is done. Hence, State-wise applications are available for obtaining lift clearance along with FSSAI License documents.
9. Music License
To begin with, won’t you love to play trending songs at your restaurant? But, to play music at your restaurant, you need to obtain a restaurant music license. For instance, under the Copyright Act of 1957, those who play pre-recorded music in any non-private, commercial or non-commercial establishments must obtain a music license. Specifically, Phonographic Performance Limited (PPL) issues the license. So, if a restaurant plays music and operates without the said license, it will have to face legal penalties. For such an establishment, a music license is also mandatory along with other FSSAI License Documents. It ensures the smooth functioning of business with the payment of nominal license fees.
10. Certificate Of Environmental Clearance
Above all, Restaurants are responsible for ensuring customer health. But they also have to keep mother earth safe as well. Hence, restaurants have to apply for the Certificate Of Environmental Clearance.
How To Get The Certificate Of Environmental Clearance for Your Restaurant
Acquiring the certificate also involves screening, scoping and evaluation of the project to examine its impact on the environment. You will have to submit appropriate documents to obtain CEC while applying. Thus, it requires Environmental Impact Assessment Report (EIA) or the Environment Management Plan (EMP), details of a public hearing and NOC granted by state regulators.
11. Signage License
Lastly, you need to market your product well that will ensure your business helps you garner the maximum profit. However, to market your restaurant either through word of mouth, logos, posters, pictures, and symbols, you have to obtain a legal permit – the signage license. In particular, the Local civil authorities like the Municipal corporation issues this license.
Furthermore, these documents legally permit you to carry on your restaurant business without any legal issue. In addition, you may follow this guide and get your Food License checklist ready to begin your startup. For convenience FSSAI online registration is also available for the Food business registration.